Friday 3 January 2014

Christmas at Welwyn


It has been an unusual Christmas for us as a family. Personally it is the first Christmas since I was 3 that I have not been to Wales, at least for some of the time. That has been restful in the sense that we have had more time at home, but I have missed the time to 'get away' from it all which, even for a few days, is relaxing.

Meanwhile at Welwyn we had a good carol evening on Wednesday 18th, about 80 people, with about a quarter of those being guests. James Cater from Carey Baptist, Reading, gave an excellent, clear and engaging evangelistic address, and we are prayerful that the seed sown will bear fruit.

On the Sunday morning before Christmas we had our Carol Service, with the children's choir taking part. I preached, a 20 minute evangelistic message in which I borrowed Mark Dever's story of the 'The Christmas Thingummabob' (attributed!). We had only very few visitors, which is usually the way on a Sunday before Christmas, but I hope the message will be useful for those who heard.

In the evening I preached on Christ as the light, based on John 1:1-5.

On Christmas morning we had about 60 people, and I preached on the meeting between Mary and Elizabeth.

Last Sunday I did a very conventional thing in preaching on Simeon and Anna in the morning, and on the boy Jesus in the temple in the evening, both under the text 'The Lord whom you seek will come to his temple...' (Mal 3:1).


On New Year's Day we had a Bible study and prayer meeting and I prepared a 'spiritual check-up' from 1 Thessalonians. I have never done quite this kind of thing before, but occasionally it is helpful to take stock.

We begin a Christianity Explored series on Monday 13th January and are hopeful for a few people to come to that.

And for the hardy of spirit who are really interested here is the text of the Christmas letter Hilary and I sent out with a lot of our cards.


2013 WITH THE ROBERTS FAMILY


Today (Saturday November 30th) was a day of fairs. The morning saw us at our church's Book Fair, not too well attended, but there is always something attractive about tables of good books and a cup of coffee. In the afternoon we whizzed around St Mary’s School Fair, well attended as usual but we spent less money and time there than ever. Via St Albans (don’t ask why) we then went to Whitwell to Emily’s Tea Shop and a craft fair with Chestnuts Roasting on An Open Fire, mulled wine, lots of Christmas goodies and a choir singing ‘White Christmas’. How do we fill our time when there is no Christmas around the corner?

Technology has played its stressful but undeniably useful part in our year. In March I (Mostyn) bought an iPad, mainly for travelling (so grateful for Skype when I have been abroad) but it has other uses, like TV catch-up and a number of fun Apps. In late August my old Dell finally died and I opted for a Mac. We then traded in our old mobiles for smartphones. It all made September the most technologically fraught month on record. It was a bit like having little children again. But we are through it now. We have just got used to higher levels of stress. I enjoy playing chess on my phone. The boys spend more time on the iPad than I do. Friends who (probably justifiably) thought I lived in the 17th Century are now swapping texts with me.

Travel has played more part in our life in 2013 than it usually does. In May I went to Sri Lanka again, this time to preach, to teach at the Baldaeus seminary in Trincomalee, and speak at a pastors’ conference. A great time, with receptive audiences and warm fellowship.

In August I went to Argentina to speak to a number of groups and churches, of differing size and maturity, who are discovering the riches of the doctrines of grace. It was a delightful and encouraging time, and thoroughly enjoyable in the company of Trevor and Lucy Routley and Lucy’s brother Daniel who translated for me.

Hilary packs a huge amount into life. She looks after us boys, helps out at St Mary’s school two afternoons a week, helps to run Parent & Toddlers and do numerous other things at church and works one day a week at LTS.

Nathaniel, (usually) quiet, thoughtful and enjoying piano and recorder lessons, is in Yr 5, and we have begun looking around at possible secondary schools for him in autumn 2015. Thomas, in Yr 3, continues to live 110% for the moment, which is demanding for him and for everyone around him. He is also learning the recorder. Both boys took part in a reading competition at school recently and made it through to the finals. The highlight of their week is the Boys’ Club run by the church on Thursday evenings. One highlight of their year was their first flight in a plane, piloted by their cousin Tim. They are a huge joy.
The big sadness of the year was the death of my mother in August. She had been failing over the year, but had a comfortable last three months in a lovely nursing home in mid Wales. I was able to take the funeral service in Newtown, and we were thankful for this opportunity. Mum was a quiet, wise, loving and strong presence and we enjoyed our visits home. Christmas will be rather different this year.

Ever heard of Selsey? I hadn’t till we were looking around for a holiday, knowing that because of my Argentina trip our time would be limited. Well, it’s south of Chichester and we did not know West Sussex very well so decided to spend nine days there in a homely bungalow. Glorious weather, seaside walks, crabbing, West Wittering beach and quaint towns, as well as edifying ministry on Sundays from John Saunders at Providence Chapel, Chichester, made it a great holiday. So good in fact that we immediately booked for half term in October.
Oh yes – we also enjoyed a week in Brixham in April. The boys love it there.
At church we have been encouraged to see some new people joining the congregation and I have recently been running a class called ‘Bible Overview’, to give them a better idea of the Bible’s big picture.

An opportunity has opened up at the local QVM hospital – I am now ‘Volunteer Minister’ and wear a real NHS security badge!

People are working hard at church and, I think, praying more. We look forward to seeing the Lord’s blessing over Christmas and in 2014.

Any writing projects have had to take a back seat but at least I can take solace in being able to encourage (sometimes discourage!) other authors, as in September I was appointed chairman of Evangelical Press. Life will not be boring as long as I hold that position. In other capacities I enjoy chairing a local fraternal and being secretary of the Westminster Fellowship. Reformation Today magazine may take a little more time soon – sadly Erroll Hulse’s stroke means more work will have to pass to others. I am doing less lecturing at LTS but now do some at the European Missionary Fellowship School.

2014 may be quieter – no overseas trips planned.
May the Lord bless your Christmas time and 2014.



No comments:

Post a Comment