Friday 18 January 2013

Affinity - Ethics in Hertfordshire

I managed to get to one day of the Affinity Theological Conference on Biblical Ethics at High Leigh, Hoddesdon. I was glad however to have received all six papers to read (though some were a little long for the purpose). I missed Steven Clark and Joshua Hordern on the Wednesday - they were laying the foundations for ethical discussion.

The three papers I attended were Gordon Wenham on 'Psalms as Torah' - the ethical teaching and influence of the psalter; Andy Hartropp on money; and Paul Helm on war. All were good papers; the small groups were stimulating; the plenary sessions struggled a little but, (perhaps because there were only 50 or so men there) we did manage to deal with some important questions.

Fellowship was refreshing, meals were good, the prayer time at the end of the day was worth staying for (and I only have a 25 minute drive home so it was easy for me). I spent most of my free time in the afternoon in Caffe Nero in Hoddesdon reading a Keller book - of which more perhaps in another blog-post.

A good conference; I am sorry to have missed Leonardo di Chirico's controversial paper on the beginning of life (essentially arguing that life begins at implantation in the womb not at conception, which makes a big difference in the debate over in vitro fertilization).

My hope is that the fellows who were there this morning will get home safely in the snow. Many had a long way to travel, north and west.

No comments:

Post a Comment